Friday, June 13, 2008
Code Red Alert from the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office states there is a mandatory evacuation of Oakville and surrounding bottoms. This includes areas north of the Hawkeye Dolby Ditch to the Iowa River Bridge West of Oakville. Residents must be evacuated by 8 a.m. Monday (6/16/2008) morning. Officers ask that you place a white piece of paper on the front door to let them know the residence has indeed been evacuated. National Guard are being sent to the area for security. Please remember:
Solid Rock Baptist Church 14041 Locust Street, Wapello, 523-5320
- Will be a local shelter 24/7
- Will be serving 2 meals a day at noon and evening
- They will be serving residents needs through the duration of the flood and until it is
safe for families to return to their homes
- They are setting up mobile shower and laundry facilities
- You may go just for meals or showering even if you do not need to stay at the shelter
- They currently do not need supply support as they are being supported by the Red Cross
The roads between Washington and Columbus Junction remains open.
This information is from the Washington Chamber of Commerce:
Riverside Casino & Golf Resort is organizing volunteers to help sandbag in various locations that are in need of assistance. A shuttle will provide transportation to and from the work sites, departing from the casino on:
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Depart at 8 a.m. and return at 12:30 p.m.
Depart at 1:00 p.m. and return at 4:30 p.m.
Depart at 5:00 p.m. and return at 9:30 p.m.
· Volunteers need to meet in front of the security desk or at the employee entrance of the casino (East side of the building) before the departure times.
· Please wear boots and gloves, and bring a shovel if you have one.
Food donations, fruit, baked goods, cases of water, Gatorade, lemonade, paper plates, cups, napkins, plastic dinnerware. Ziplock bags
Toiletries, (shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, deodorant) as they may be here for several weeks. Some have only packed for a couple of days. Joyce Dickerson says they would gladly accept monetary donations to help with the cost of supplies as well.
Anyone who would like to help can email Joyce Dickerson(firstname.lastname@example.org) or donations may be dropped off at the armory across from HyVee at any time.
Here are other Washington County road announcements:
Washington road closings. This link will be updated frequently today (Friday) by Washington County Secondary Roads.